UFC Unfiltered: Harrison doubles up, Wiz Khalifa in the cage?

UFC unfiltered

With UFC Unfiltered, we try to give you a comprehensive look at what’s happening around the UFC and the MMA world so you can head into the weekend in the know. Here’s a look at happenings around the UFC and MMA this past week.

Kayla Harrison goes back-to-back

For the second consecutive season Kayla Harrison has captured the PFL lightweight championship and with it the $1 million prize.

Just like her 2019 Finals fight against Larissa Pacheco, her championship bout against a game, but thoroughly overmatched Taylor Guardado, was total domination. Harrison (12-0) secured an armbar at 4:00 in the second round for the victory.

Unsurprisingly, UFC chief Dana White was less than impressed. Or so he made it seem in classic Uncle Dana fashion:

Harrison, 31, didn’t take too kindly to the disrespect.

“That’s what he does. That’s his job is to… I’m gonna talk about how I’m the greatest of all time and he’s gonna talk about ‘Calm down, no you’re not.’ This is a game. This is a business. The difference is I really am gonna be the greatest of all time. So he’s gonna see.”

Kayla Harrison on Dana White’s comments [H/T Bloody Elbow]

Will Harrison eventually wind up in the UFC facing the likes of Amanda Nunes? Time will tell. Her contract with PFL is up but she may resign from the organization since she is arguably one of their top stars.

This will be one of the most intriguing storylines as 2022 rolls around.

Wiz Khalifa — prizefighter?

Sticking with PFL news (in a UFC column??? How dare us.), rap superstar and promotion investor Wiz Khalifa says he can envision himself stepping into the cage for a fight in the near future.

After the laughter died down Khalifa continued:

“I’ve always been a boxing fan and when MMA started to become big, my cousins convinced me to start training in jiu-jitsu,” Wiz said. “That was about 5 years ago.”

“I love watching and [fighting is] definitely something I think about, but for now I’m happy as an owner. But you never know. I am always training so if the opportunity presents itself and is something that could be fun and good for everyone, I could see myself getting in the ring.”

Wiz Khalifa, being serious [H/T Bloody Elbow]

Even though he’s a part-owner in PFL, you know this is the sort of situation that UFC boss Dana White no doubt will say he hates for his sport, but also one that he secret salivates over.

UFC champ Conor McGregor is being sued…again, probably

UFC Conor McGregor
Sep 21, 2021; Chicago, Illinois, USA; MMA fighter Conor McGregor pumps his fist as he walks on the field before the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Minnesota Twins at Wrigley Field. Mandatory Credit: Jon Durr-USA TODAY Sports

Irish whisky maker and sometimes prizefighter Conor McGregor has struck again. Literally. Allegedly.

Italian DJ Francesco Facchinetti confirmed with ESPN in an interview Thursday that he filed a complaint with Italian law enforcement several days after he claims he was struck by the UFC star during a party Oct. 16 inside a hotel meeting room in Rome.

Facchinetti claims to have suffered a cut lip and a neck injury of some kind.

No reason for the alleged attack has surfaced so far, although being an Italian DJ could be reason enough for a smack that the judge may consider dismissing the case.

The Italian DJ has yet to file a lawsuit against the former two-division world champion, but it’s been mentioned in every story since the alleged incident occurred so there’s little doubt that one will be coming once the Italian police finish their investigation.

Buffer to miss first UFC pay per view in 25 years

Veteran announcer and UFC icon Bruce Buffer will miss his first UFC pay per view in 25 years on the job thanks to COVID-19.

The “Voice of the Octagon” has not made the company trip to Abu Dhabi and instead will remain home to rest and recover while Joe Martinez takes his place for UFC 267 this weekend.

Buffer’s streak goes all the way back to UFC 11 when Mark Coleman won his second consecutive UFC tournament. He first began a working relationship with the fight promotion in 1996 and has been a mainstay ever since.

Finally…Platinum Perry signs with BKFC

Former UFC welterweight Mike ‘Platinum’ Perry has signed a multi-fight deal with bare-knuckle fight promotion BKFC. Perry, 30, fought out his contract with the UFC in April, dropping a unanimous decision to Daniel Rodriguez.

Perry (14-8) had somewhat of an uneven UFC tenure, going 7-8 and finishing his run 3-7 in his last 10 fights.

He now joins former UFC stars Paige VanZant, Chad Mendes and Rachael Ostovich on the BKFC roster.

Right now it seems like BKFC is flush with cash and handing out paychecks to anyone that will bring curious eyeballs and even the smallest amount of credibility to bare-knuckle promotion. Especially now that lawmakers are honing in on the sport after the death of Justin Thornton following his knockout loss in August.

Perry is still a talented fighter who can set himself back up for success with some stirring knockouts if he stays motivated and out of trouble.

It’s always a toss-up with talented but troubled athletes like Perry. Which side are you going to be getting when you sign him? The guy who can bring crowds to their feet with a sterling performance.

Or the guy who drops n-bombs and fights old men in restaurants?

The answers will come soon enough.