It is that time of the week again where we go over all that has happened in the last week in Boxing. The Sweet Science Scene brought so much in the last week a fighter coming of age, a possible fighter cementing a shot at Canelo, and two huge upsets across the pond. Then Canelo says he wants a cruiserweight title. Boxing is the theater of the unexpected.
The names flying around for a shot at Pound for pound king Canelo Alvarez have been floating around, but too many options one or one A is David Benavidez. This past Saturday he took a replacement in Kyrone Davis and showed why he is mentioned as not just a fighter who could face Canelo but beat him. Benavidez dominated the durable and tough Davis throughout the fight.
Benavidez showed his skills and put pressure on Davis until the corner stopped the fight in the seventh round. Benavidez is a dangerous fighter as he is a former two-time champion, and he is undefeated. He has quick hands and is powerful, so he does not have a line of fighters lining up for him. Earlier this year he asked for a fight with Jermall Charlo, but that didn’t happen. After this victory Benavidez again called out Canelo and Charlo and with the announcement of Canelo looking to move up to cruiserweight can we possibly see Benavidez-Charlo?
A fighter who burst on the scene a few years back and then has seemed to just tread light has been Jaime Munguia. He moved up to 160 last year and has been the number one rated contender in two sanctioning bodies but has been brought along slowly as he improves. This past weekend the wait seems to have paid off as he took on the toughest fighter, he has faced at 160 in veteran Gabriel Rosado. The fight seemed like it would be a solid test and a moment for Munguia where he would need to dig deep, but alas though the fight was competitive he took a unanimous decision as he outboxed and beat Rosado. It was a really good fight, but Munguia showed improvements and was the better fighter. Following the victory, Munguia asked for Gennady Golovkin or a final eliminator as his next option. I think he is ready for either of them.
Matchroom Boxing had a card across the pond, but its main event and the co-main event did not go their way. First off in the Women’s Jr lightweight division Terri Harper took on Alycia Baumgardner and the fight ended in a shocking result. Baumgardner delivered a crisp right hand in the fourth round that left Harper frozen still and thankfully the referee jumped in before another shot landed. Baumgardner now places herself in the mix for a big unification with Mikaela Mayer. Sign me up.
The main event Kid Galahad faced veteran Kiko Martinez. Galahad was in control of this fight until he wasn’t. Martinez landed a right hand that sent Galahad to his back and even with beating the count you could see he was not recovered. As the sixth round started Martinez landed another right hand and this time Galahad would not get up. He laid on his back and appeared out. The ref immediately waved off the fight and Martinez went into celebration.
- Canelo through trainer Eddy Reynoso stated that he would like to move up to cruiserweight and llunga Makabu in May of 2022. If he moves up and pulls the win, he will win a belt in his fifth division, and it would be a historical victory. This move leaves questions at 168 and hopefully, they are answered.
- The match between Gennady Golovkin and Ryota Murata in unification for 160 has been officially announced for December 29th in Japan. It will be broadcast by DAZN and Amazon Prime in Japan.
- A Heavyweight fight has been announced for New Year’s Day as Luis Ortiz will take on former titleholder Charles Martin. This fight seemed to come out of nowhere but definitely, is an intriguing one and one to sure add some intrigue in the heavyweight division.
- Probellum is continuing to make moves as it announced some cards and more signings. Lee McGregor as part of a co-promotional deal with Matchroom. It also signed Oshaquie Foster currently number two rated at 130 by the in a major move.
- The big fight this weekend is between Terence Crawford and Shawn Porter who meet for Crawford’s 147-pound title. It will be Crawford’s first major challenge at 147 and it adds to the list of fighters from who Shawn Porter has not backed away from.
Not to be a Rueda…but
Everyone has their likes and dislikes and that’s fine. I’ve seen many that I don’t agree with, but it’s not my business so I go about my life. The one I can’t stand is the people who talk down on Women’s Boxing. I love it and the Women always give it their all.
The last two weeks have given us major moments in the sport first the fight between Mikaela Mayer and Maiva Hamadouche and then this last weekend between Alycia Baumgardner stopping Terri Harper. The outcomes have brought interest into a possible unification between Mayer and Baumgardner and I for one can’t wait. Maybe you so-called boxing fans should show respect or pipe down and let the ladies shine.